Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trouble in De-stressing

There is another reason of me taking up flute as my second musical instrument. To de-stress. I feel kinda stressed in real life, and I miss my piano (which my parents sold off the moment I got engaged to my then-bf, now my hubby), so I decided to start playing a 'lighter' and more mobile musical instrument, mostly to de-stress and rediscover the passion of letting myself lose myself in music again. It's been more than a decade, actually more than a dozen years after I completed my Grade 8 in piano and almost as long to abandon serious music playing since the turn of the millennium.
The box of my then-brand-new flute, got this for myself end Sept just before my birthday in this year, 2011, this is the Yamaha YFL-211 model, fork up some extra money for the Split-E mechanism and I read enough to tell me that it will be worth it when I hit the high 'E' once I get better in the future. I guess emotions are as fragile as the sign on the box.
Yamaha YFL-211 model is my choice of student flute. It comes with a nice bag with an optional sling strap for easier/more convenient mobility. Oh, I'm NOT selling it, btw, I teach copywriting/writing for a living, hence my descriptive product introduction here, lol.
Anyway, I digress. Now, I have trouble in de-stressing. It's a vicious circle. You play music to de-stress and you need to de-stress before you can fully enjoy playing the music.. it's like a chicken and egg situation. When you are stressed, the air/energy flow within just isn't the same as when you are more relaxed, hence when you are blowing the flute, the space within, the embouchure, I think, isn't exactly ideal for the perfect tone. Arggh. I need to loosen up and cheer up. Funny how all the positive terms tend to have the word 'up' in them. I have to buck up then!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment